In Brene Brown’s research, she identified twelve core areas where people feel shame:
- Appearance and body image
- Money and work
- Mental and physical health
- Surviving Trauma
- Being stereotyped or labelled
Shame is often hidden…for different people. Shame hides in various places:
- Shame is being bankrupt
- Shame is losing my job
- Shame is being infertile
- Shame is shouting at my kids
- Shame is being 15 kilos overweight
- Shame is being on antidepressants
Shame is difficult to talk about for obvious reasons…we feel shame about the topic we are discussing. Over the next few days, I will share research-based ideas to diffuse shame effectively.
Reference: Brown, B. (2012). Daring Greatly. Penguin Books: UK.